Disruptive Juxtaposition

Monday, May 30, 2005

Into good music writing?

Well God knows I might not be able to provide it. I can however point you to the critical stylings of one Stephen Thomas Erlewine, whose review of Oasis's new "Don't Believe the Truth" must be read to be believed. Granted, it's likely that I esteem this review in large part because STE, who knows what's what, loves the album for a variety of very very good reasons. After all, I was a bloke for Oasis back in the heady days of 1996-8, when who knew what I'd be doing or like, and that band on What's the Story (Morning Glory) and Be Here Now came colossally stomping through my earphones as I assembled plastic replicas of Star Destroyers and what not, idly musing on what it must be like to be Cool, to Sing Big Songs about Love and what was happening All Around the World. Then they lost me with Standing On the Shoulders of Giants. Still, that caveat aside, it's some stand-up good criticism. Context provided, sober analysis, I mean, honor him, the Erlewine, whose name sounds like a regent's title.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home