Disruptive Juxtaposition

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive

I'm not sick enough that I can't blog.

I've complained to friends old and new about this new problem of graduation, which is not a singular plane of a problem, but rather has numerous facets. The obvious include moving and finding work. The more unexpected have to do with the impending absence of poetry-related deadlines. The exam went off with nary a hitch - wonderful! - and my advisor's said that he'll sign off on the thesis without hesitation - phew! - and then in four weeks I'll have no one asking to see work on a regular basis.

The common rejoinder is that programs such as this one intend among other things to instill a sense of diligence and routine to the apprentice's work habits, that programs are launching pads for the long flight of life after MFA-ery. And I had that routine coming into MFA-ery. I'll have it when I leave, and on into the noon and sundown and twilight of my life, etc.

So what's the problem? This is an actual question: I don't know the answer. I suppose it's to do with the brand of diligence, the degree of routine, that this impending post-launch-pad period of life is going to require. Am I going to be regular enough in the writing, in the writing well, to accomplish what I want to accomplish - which in the final analysis is nothing more simple and impossible than good poems? Am I going to be diligent enough in revision and submission? I'd have thought that other questions would be consuming my thinking in these weeks, practical matters such as "Where is my next paycheck coming from?" That hasn't been the case at all. I suppose that's a bright spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home