Disruptive Juxtaposition

Thursday, March 24, 2005

How Many Degrees Are You From King James?

I had to laugh when, as part of the prep for Monday's (trumpet flourish) MFA EXAM, I pecked out my rough poetic lineage. That's one of the questions we'll have to field - how do you fit in with your forebears and contemporaries? (Or, What would an anthology have to say about you?) And I came up with in chronological order

o The Bible
o Donne
o Milton
o Wordsworth
o Whitman
o Jeffers
o Crane
o Frost
o Stevens
o Bishop
o Hecht
o Walcott
o Williams (C.K.)
o Hummer
o Goldbarth
o McGrath
o Lobko

and seeing my name at the bottom of a list that began with the ever-loving BIBLE (the Psalms, I was thinking) made me just bust up. To ask a poet to fit themselves in a canon might be an inspiring question - but also it can inspire absurd mirth and hopefully after that humility.

So who's in YOUR poetic family tree?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home