Disruptive Juxtaposition

Friday, March 18, 2005

The Stick

Thanks, Tony, for the baton. I shall not drop it.

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?This question makes me wonder about the morals of the bookburning civilization - how thorough are they? If they're inept and only gun for the first few floors of pulp, then I should like to be a musty gazetteer of some Missouri county, Chariton maybe, or Ste Genevieve. But if they know what's what, what makes a good book and come after those, then I'd be a medieval Book of Hours (calligraphied and coded by anonymous monks) or the papers of Elizabeth Bishop. If you're going to go, go out happy.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? I think her name was Callie Shaw - Frank Hardy's girlfriend from "The Hardy Boys." She had green eyes.

The last book you bought is: John Ashbery's A Wave.

The last book you read
: Kevin Young's Most Way Home. Also The Watchmen, the epic graphic novel of the 80's, touchstone for sequential artists everywhere I hear, by Moore and Gibbons.

What are you currently reading?
Garrett Hongo's The River of Heaven.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

1. The Iliad
2. Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass (Deathbed Edition)
3. Wallace Stevens, Collected Poems.
4. Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections.
5. Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything Is Illuminated.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Wendy Wisner, because she's right above me on Tony's blogroll, and we should all know our neighbors. Plus, she shares with me the "Dots" Blogger template.
Paul Guest, because I esteem his blog title above just about everyone else's, especially my own.
Rachel Dacus, because I too love Alexander Graham Bell, and his Watson.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home