Disruptive Juxtaposition

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Complaint ending with a movie quote

I don't want or need to hear from recent graduates of this program that "reality came down on me pretty hard" or "I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic" or "I became a cashier at Borders." This revulsion of mine is distinct from denial, however; I fully realize that jobs for holders of the MFA, even graduates of academically rigorous ones such as the one here, even those with teaching experience of no small scope thanks also to this program here, will have significant struggles in finding work. I know that. Hell, I even practically expect to become a cashier at Borders. But Christ did the dudes who crashed today's workshop ever get me down; I think it had everything to do with their delivery. The one dude especially seemed embarrassed about it. Since graduating in '03, he's found other work at a community college, but when he was talking about the first few months out of school, a dunce cap would not have been out of place on his head from the way he was talking. It chaps my ass, this idea that we as recent graduates don't know the score, and need to be reminded that the real world "is a jungle" and other such dead metaphors. We know this. Now shhh. We'll handle it. God. Now look. I caught you a delicious bass.

2 Comments:

  • Wil,

    I risk running afoul once again, but please know that I offer these comments in good will.

    1) Maybe things have changed a lot since I was there, but the MFA program of which you speak never impressed me as being particularly rigorous. In fact, I was a bit shocked at how little was required of us. I had a much tougher time in undergrad. Of course, this is coming from a guy who didn't finish the program, so a pinch of salt is in order.

    2)Didn't much care for Napoleon Dynamite. I don't know why. Perhaps it's genetic or something.

    By Blogger Anthony Robinson, at 1:47 PM  

  • Well, I base that assessment of the program here on what others in other programs have said. Michigan, for instance, hasn't any requirements of its MFAers beyond workshops. Despite the seminars and the capital E Exam, I must agree that the rigor doesn't even approach a quarter of the difficulty of my undergraduate days. But then again, I tend to stress myself out with more work than the program itself stipulates I must. In other words, I'm making it harder than it need be... if only the Awarders of Jobs knew it.

    By Blogger Wil, at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home