Disruptive Juxtaposition

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A return to poetry

Yes, again.

*

There's been some interesting back-and-forth in the comment boxes; thought I'd chime in. Tony wrote that "the poetry that interests me as 'new' lately is the poetry that can be the most up to date in its inappropriateness." Let's take as given that we're all in pursuit of not only what's new in poetry, but what's new and succeeds at making us feel something. (I'll have to chime in on Goldbarth and feeling later tonight.) But a poem's "inappropriate" qualities would therefore seem to take on a new level of complexity.

Segue: I don't want to name these poems as inappropriate, because I don't think that they are, but D. A. Powell's work in Cocktails -




- seems to be both new and, well, *surprising*. Again, I can't say inappropriate, because there's nothing inappropriate about these words, issues, or images. Rather, the words, issues, and images gain everything through the way this guy's staggering his lines - setting up syntactic expectations and thwarting them, thwarting them. He's doing things with rhythm that I haven't seen done before, and not because I haven't read everything there is to read. This fellow's rhythmic sense, coupled with his subject matter and his, ah, articulation of his consciousness, reads new.

*

This is less a response to those comment-box comments, I suppose, and more a related tangent. But I like this conversation.

5 Comments:

  • Um, tangent, Wil? It's your blog, yo ;0 Tangent as you wish, I say! Defy the comment box! ;0

    Seriously, this post is tremendously helpful. It helps most to have names to point to, tangible references to seek and explore. I am a chimp. I like to pick things up. Especially Cocktails. I shall stick with beer for now and find Cocktails this weekend.

    I guess I have to go read some more Goldbarth now too. Not sure I've read enough to judge.

    And cheers to poem posts; may the discussion continue.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 PM  

  • Doug Powell has some good stuff out there. I like the book Tea, which is beautifully made as a book--high production values, y'heard? It is also filled with beautiful poems.

    Maybe we could use your blog. (Or my blog, or both) to have poem-offs--each of us picks an exemplary poem and explains its charms. The other person(s) can chime in to concur or disagree or whatever.

    By Blogger Anthony Robinson, at 1:26 PM  

  • Other possible topics:

    1) the hated (to me) C-word: "Craft"--what does it practically mean? Does the word itself carry connotations that result (in a workshop situation for instance) in aesthetic hegemony? Or am I just a sloppy writer?


    2) Poetry and Performance. Are there alternatives to the poet voice? (See Brian Turner's reading of Body Bags for a good example of this.)

    By Blogger Anthony Robinson, at 2:16 PM  

  • Damn. I sure can kill a conversation.

    By Blogger Anthony Robinson, at 1:01 PM  

  • Just checked back in and no, the conversation's not killed. Not at all. On my end, I'm just busy pondering the creative language of Comp students. Consider: "Many altercations have been made to hybrid vehicles, making them much more reliable than in the past." A whole lot of awesome over here, trust me...

    Books of lyrics that feel exciting to me? Chad Davidson's Consolation Miracle and Dennis Schmitz's The Truth Squad. But funny: I'm totally jacked into Jane Hirshfield's new book, and I think that's funny, considering this conversation...something about that group of poems feels totally...ancient. And I adore it.

    More on the big C later, as well as the "poet voice." I'll be sure to quote you, Tony.

    And yeah: blog as catwalk. Love it. Bring it on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home