Disruptive Juxtaposition

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Millywaukay

was great. To wit:



This isn't a good shot of either of us, but I post it for the sneery look of the guy in the background. Far be it from me to say he represents Milwaukeans in general. Nevertheless, as with clowns, there is something frightening yet funny about the look he's giving us.




Usher and longtime member of Kristin's crew Matt Parsons there on the left. Groomsman and brother to the bride John Fagan there on the right. There's a funny story about John which I don't feel at liberty to share, really, but I will say that if you're in an unfamiliar city and overindulge at a bachelor's party and take a walk, take your shoes with you. And make sure someone knows where you are. Or at least be sure about whose couch it is you've collapsed onto, and in whose apartment the couch is. Or don't, and freak everybody out!





Good souls Anne Chang (Bender?) and Nathan Bender.




Groom Aaron Stockum. His betrothed gave him some real Spidey webslingers there. Which I think is a very loving gift. It really is all about the thought, I've decided. I've never been much into the idea of goods that are traditionally "valuable." Jewelry, designer clothes, they don't even make me shrug I care so little for them. But gifts that consider the pleasures another person can take in something you or I might consider unlikely display what is in the end a real understanding of that other person. Because Aaron loves him some Silver Age comics. Great thinking, Shira.




One of our better photos ever.

*

Milwaukee is actually a fairly hip place, in certain districts. I wouldn't call it thriving, but I would call parts of it charming. Places to check out on returning: the Museum of Art; Broad Vocabulary (a bookstore that may or may not have, um, specialty material ["Broad" being meant in its non-P.C. 40s / 50s sense, i.e. "dame"] ); the Miller Factory. On your visit, try the Lakefront River Walk Stein. And the wedding was lovely. 25 minutes. Kudos Aaron and Shira. Thanks for having us.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home