Disruptive Juxtaposition

Friday, January 20, 2006

Links

You should enjoy this:



Jon and I played this game endlessly. When I first received it for Christmas one year, I held it aloft in the way heroes in movies hold up swords they've just pulled from stones.



Seeing this screen was distressing to us, because it meant we'd died and needed to travel a loooong way to get back to where it was we'd died. Usually in the South Realms. Lots of walking in this game. That's Zelda on the dais there. I seem to remember Jon and I doing the jump-slash at her, such was our frustration with being obligated to save her sleeping beauty self again.



The long journey begins, or begins again.




A silly orange goblin, and a blob. Red blobs were worth 3 points, as I recall: they could hop. Orange goblins were worth nothing: with but one blow of your wooden sword they made a "ZOIRCH!" sound and vanished in two asterisks of fire, one for the torso and one for the legs.

There was always a good amount of fear, when it was time to finish playing, that we would lose the progress we had made; this was due to the odd memory feature the original Nintendo had, by which you held in the reset button as you turned off the power. Remember this screen? And Ganon's laugh?






Some people felt that there was something lame and even sacrilegious about the sidescrolling action in "Zelda II", far different than the top-down-only map view of the original "Legend of Zelda." Which Jon and I never owned and missed out on. But "Zelda II"'s sidescrolling action, coupled with the character-improving nature of all role-playing games worth their salt, was perfectly pitched to our "Contra"-reared sense of action. Besides, how can you beat the upward and downward thrust? You just can't.

*

I have no idea why I spent all this time sharing this.

*

More links. The American Association of Suicidology, despite its quasi-farcial name (Q: How can I make something sound legit and 'sciencey'? A: Just add OLOGY!!), looks to be one of the go-to resources.

*

Come March, a poetry review of mine will be forthcoming at Half-Drunk Muse. Half-Drunk Muse: Because you can't write if you're fully drunk. At least I don't think I can.

*

What a caffeine-addled morning. Thank you, Go! Team, for helping me keep what focus I kept.

1 Comments:

  • I used to play Zelda all the time. We never moved up to Zelda two, but I did play all versions of King's Quest.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home