Disruptive Juxtaposition

Saturday, July 09, 2005

I Heart the Nooey Pibble

A.K.A. the New York Public Library. Finally I have found, at the George Bruce branch of the Nooey Pibble, a free WiFi connection. Which means the search for and sending out of job applications can continue. This fact elates me. I'll probably make this a regular spot - 518 W. 125th Street, between Amsterdam and Broadway.

But as I've been here for the last three hours, quaffing ceaselessly from the fountain of the Internets, I need to get up and go home.

I sat down this morning to write a poem about New York City in all its assorted danger, its chance calculus of meetings both amusingly serendipitous and tragic. I know, know, that Law & Order is the framework on which to base this poem, to be called "Law & Order." But its ambitions defeated me. It'll have to stew for a while, I now realize.

Question: should one begin a second poetry MS (to be called Safety Culture) when the first poetry MS (called Food Bed Gospel) not only hasn't been published, but contains only a few poems that have been placed? Food Bed Gospel is in pretty good shape, and the poems it comprises are in circulation; no doubt some will soon strike home. (For better or worse, I haven't had such confidence in the work before, and I take that alone as a promising sign.) What's more, I've got dozens of poems that don't belong in FBG, but definitely correspond with each other. I think I answered my own question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home