Disruptive Juxtaposition

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Roadside America



Las Vegas is so prevalent in the American mythos that it's hardly a strange thing to see a billboard advocating its saucy charms. Nevertheless, the appearance of this billboard seemed, back near the outset, auspicious.




Eastern Kansas. Above me, and too big for any normal camera to capture, there is a humongous ground-to-ground double rainbow. The picture I had the toll attendant take for me took in only half of the phenomenon.




Liberal, KS. Dorothy's house is to the right, and indeed looked light enough to fly.




New Mexico, I think. Northern New Mexico's very mountainous - almost Pacific Northwestish in its numbers of pine and S curves.




Clearly, it was pretty awe-inspiring. I couldn't remember upon reviewing these pictures if I was incredibly impressed or incredibly bored. Let's go with impressed. Impressed with the American Sublime.




Rain in Arizona? What are the odds? Low?




Taken on 93 North on the approach to Vegas. Apparently you can't capture Vegas with any known photographic equipment; the city moves too fast and will evade your attempts to comprehend it. One big light show blur you're on the inside of.

2 Comments:

  • Glad to hear you made it safely. Great pictures. As a Republican, I was amused back when I learned of Liberal, KS. That was a couple years ago.

    By Blogger junebee, at 3:18 PM  

  • Hey I like the new pic under your profile. But that isn't a CIGARETTE hangin' out of your mouth - is it?

    Actually when I used to drive between FL and PA I did smoke to help keep myself awake, so I can't really throw stones!

    By Blogger junebee, at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home