Disruptive Juxtaposition

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Mood: Cautiously optimistic

Met the quota with little difficulty this morning. It cut into my poem-writing time, and I suppose I’m still wrestling with time management even after lo all of these years. But GG is benefitting from a couple of experiments I’m trying out. Two main characters are stuck in Hamptons traffic and I’m taking the advice of many a fiction instructor and using the car as a crucible for them to confront their day, their responsibilities, each other, themselves, et cetera ad nauseum. I’m enjoying the process of bending the rules of reality—playing with time so that even though they are in a rush to get somewhere they still must pass the time. Time in its linear sense is somewhat suspended for the duration of this scene. So far it’s all dialogue. That’s promising: usually I have a tin ear when it comes to dialogue.

I must leave the house now. But listen to Animal Collective’s “Did You See the Words” on repeat and drink a Sam Adams too quickly and you too won’t fret that fact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home