Disruptive Juxtaposition

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Yesterday in Bullet-Time

o Martha Stewart signed books in Time Warner Center's ground floor Williams-Sonoma, the line for which signing snaked out into the massive atrium. Upstairs in B_____'s there was a new edition of Forbes, I believe, on which Martha Stewart was quoted saying "I cannot be destroyed." Which makes one smile and want to try.

o A real-life Michelin Man - a Stay-Puft Marshmallow figure made of too many marshmallows and without the sailor's dickie - waved at entrants to B______'s. He stood beside a rack of new Michelin 2006 Guides to NY-area restaurants.

o An older man with whom I swapped stories about crossing the country by car - he was on his way to Florida - let slip, after we'd sort of bonded over eating habits on the road (I eat next to nothing, being so immobile, and he eats constantly), that he'd buried his wife on Wednesday. He needed to leave the city for a while. I instantly tear. 60 seconds later he thanked me for the audio book I helped him find and I lamely patted him twice on the left shoulder. I was unsteady on my feet for the next hour. Does this sound strange? It felt strange to me at the time, but doesn't feel strange now. Now he's somewhere in Virginia or Maryland, listening to David McCullough discuss the strategic importance of Concord and Lexington.

o The band Animal Collective earned my instant devotion and advocacy. I listened to it on a whim, on the strength of one good review at AMG. After the first few seconds
of listening to Track 1 "Did You See The Words" I was doubled over, laughing, with my eyes squeezed shut. I have heard a lot of music, and I do not have this reaction often. This music is very, very good. More to say about it, later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home