Disruptive Juxtaposition

Thursday, February 03, 2005

A break in the clouds

Metaphorically of course. Eugenian morning fog continues for what must be a record umpteenth day.

Last night I received the first rejection of this whole new "real job" stage of life. Carney Sandoe, a sort of caseworker-based clearinghouse for teaching candidates, didn't consider me sellable enough to take my case. Which would seem to mean, by implication, that their rejection stands in implicitly for the rejection of however many thousands of schools with which they liason. Maybe that's not the case. But it feels a bit like that.

Brighter news: the poem "LANE BIKE", the title of which I wrote yesterday and then abandoned, is finished. Among its many subjects:

o metonymy;
o that time I first kissed Kristin, who'd been riffing on the need to seize the day, which I did;
o the environs of West Eugene (especially its car graveyards and train tracks);
o the Lascaux cave painters;
o anthropologists of the Distant (distant!) Future (future!)

But it'll have to sit in the books for a bit before I do anything with it. It's way imperfect.

I'm tearing through the remaining books on my MFA reading list: C.K. Williams's Flesh and Blood, Eamon Grennan's Still Life with Waterfall. The former is far less satisfying than I remember. The eight-line form, each line of a Whitmanic length, is not the problem. In most of the poems the problem is to do with, hmm, let's see, maybe the near-total absence of image?? That might have something to do with it. Without image being meaningfully deployed & developed, the prosaic tendency of C.K.'s long line tends to blot out anything poetic. The best of these poems ("The Modern," about eating a tomato; I mean, hot damn) are quite fine, but the worst are like entries from a shrink's nightly journal of Deep Thoughts.

Grennan's poems, however, shine. Much of this might relate to the fact that I can hear his Irish lilt reading each line (especially whenever I come to the word "heart"), but really he's just expert at what he does. I don't think he'd mind if I shared one.

Up Against It

It's the way they cannot understand the window
they buzz and buzz against, the bees that take
a wrong turn at my door and end up thus
in a drift at first of almost idle curiosity,
cruising the room until they find themselves
smack up against it and they cannot fathom how
the air has hardened and the world they know
with their eyes keeps out of reach as, stuck there
with all they want just in front of them, they must
fling their bodies against the one unalterable law
of things - this fact of glass - and can only go on
making the sound that tethers their electric
fury to what's impossible, feeling the sting in it.

1 Comments:

  • A few things, Wil--
    Wil, a few observations, comments, curmudgeonly bullshit:


    Metonymy, like synecdoche, is overrated.

    Cave paintings are not all that interesting.

    Cale (John) paintings may be a good deal more interesting.

    The intricacies of meter tend to appeal to a) the very young/green and b) the past-middle-aged royal astronomer types.

    West Eugene may make for interesting poeming. Not sure. I reside in East Eugene. Much different world.

    Okay, I can get behind the kissing Kristin portion of this poem (tho' I haven't read it). I wrote an entire book about kissing/not-kissing Kristin. (Albeit a different Kristin, the one who appears in the latest issue of the NWR, and who, lately, is calling my house, and whose calls I haven't returned because I don't know what I would say). This stuff makes for poetry.

    The above must be qualified. It will undoubtedly be questioned by those who are still enamored of Eliotic screeds, T&tIT mostly, and Metaphysical Poetry, and other such. It should be questioned.

    Those who claim to be "working class" poets are pulling your leg.

    Don't be deluded into thinking that a "way imperfect" poem can become "perfect." The poem dies way before that.

    I would toss Grennan and Williams, and Mark Doty, and well, shit, pretty much any contemporary poet--esp. Franz Wright, as it would likely inspire him to threaten me via email--in the rubbish bin if I could keep my collected John Donne.

    Brenda Hillman's "Bright Existence" is a book I admire. "Loose Sugar," I like better, but in certain MFA programs it is not allowed on the reading list. Lots of stuff isn't allowed on the reading list though.

    "LANE BIKE" is a fine name for a poem. To indulge one of your recent obsessions, I think it's a fine spondaic title.

    More to Come. (Johnny Carson.)

    By Blogger Anthony Robinson, at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home