Disruptive Juxtaposition

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The sestina that

I wrote today pressed me into a kind of mania from which only now am I coming down. Big thanks go out to the fine staffers of Studio One Cafe, who kept me fueled for all of those hours.

Also "dipped into" (hi Kristin - I
know you love these needless elocutions of mine) the University's Museum of Art. Saw a rather meh Jasper Johns, "Two Maps" I think it was, and a roomful of Junichiro Sekino's rooftop prints. The scalloped crenellations of Japanese rooftops featured prominently in each print, one, and the subtle almost-tough-to-notice curvatures elsewhere in the pieces made for just what the plaque claimed, namely an ideal blend of the modern and the traditional, et cetera. I buy that.

Man, look at that timestamp. I swear I could go to bed.

2 Comments:

  • I thought at first that the title of this post was "The Sestina Hat," which made me very excited.

    The Jasper Johns was only "meh?" What gives?

    By Blogger Anthony Robinson, at 10:26 AM  

  • As LeVar Burton says, you don't have to take *his* word for it. But for me that Jasper Johns was not on par with other work of his I've seen. It was a map of the United States, charcoal-grey, two maps actually, one above the other. And I suppose the point was to compare the two Americas for differences like some sort of dissembled palimpsest. It was sure no "Untitled 1992-1994", I'll tell you that.

    By Blogger Wil, at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home