Disruptive Juxtaposition

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

All things go!

This post was written on the Amtrak yesterday. It's a little outdated, but, meh. The post I'm almost done writing now what'll make this post outdated. Still, I wrote it and it's against my new constitution to keep things to myself.

*

On the 281 Empire Service to New York City. Just lurched out of Albany, and we’re about to swing south. Just pushed play on Come On Feel the Illinoise! by Sufjan Stevens, which has gotten a lot of press on this blog and other more popular blogs. For example, the high-and-mighty and much-hated Pitchfork named it, well, see for yourself. (Scroll down for the relevant entry.) We avoided what looked liable to become a nightmarish situation when we first boarded the train in Syracuse, with all of the seats taken save one, which was occupied by the big leg of a woman with a defiant expression. Luckily, it didn’t transpire that we needed to test this defiance, as an Amtrak conductor ambled toward us, the half-dozen travellers without seats who’d been exiled to the rearmost part of the train possible; just when I was sure we’d all have to remain standing subway-style in the little 10 sq. ft. area for oversized luggage, this conductor came along and opened up the final car, into which we six or seven gratefully poured. I’ve spent the ride so far doing crosswords, today’s in the New York Times and another NYT crossword reprinted in the Syracuse Post-Standard (“America’s Most Colorful Newspaper!”). Success on both fronts. Also I’ve been making headway in Joan Didion’s The Year of Magical Thinking, which I’ll probably review on this page when I finish it in the next few days. Thanks, Keetje and others, for the recommendation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home